July 21, 2014

SPONGEBOB EPISODE: PRANKS A LOT


It was a plain ol' regular day, and I was watching SpongeBob Squarepants— suddenly a full page Johnson Smith comic book ad fills the screen! The unexpected familiarity was like seeing a family member on a national TV show, like your grandpa showing up on Breaking Bad and you never knew he auditioned. Then a couple minutes in, S.B.S.P. (my abbreviation for Spongbob Squarepants which is quicker to type than his full name.) visits the "Palace of Pranks." The scene is comprised of great painted backgrounds complete with hanging shrunken heads and a barrel of wind-up chatter teeth.

All of this got me really excited and I felt compelled to start taking screenshots, though certainly not for a blog post, because a few random images of cartoon pranks would make for a lousy entry. I guess the archivist part of me wanted to preserve these images in case the episode somehow gets erased from existence. However, keeping them on my hard drive is too risky, so I had to put them on "the cloud," so here they are. Whew. I guess I'll fashion this into a regular, albeit lackluster post now.

The twenty first episode of season three, called "Pranks A Lot" is a beautiful duet of SpongeBob and classic gags. The show peaks early as the protagonists visit a novelty shop run by an older fish named Frank. He pitches a number of jokes to the boys before they settle on Invisible Spray. That's when the story takes a turn for the worse by leaving the prank shop to advance the plot.

I've covered prank appearances on other TV shows, and though these aren't official S.S. Adams products I think it's worth the next fifteen seconds of your time to scroll through a dozen screenshots.








"Pranks, gags, and gross out toys as far as the eye can see."
  
 "The grandaddy of all pranks, the Joy Buzzer."

"You don't have to get it. The prank is for the enjoyment of the prankster."




 Whoppee Cushion

 Fake Vomit

Invisible Spray


Thank you for looking at the screenshots. Please think about what you have seen.

No comments: